[Eastontowncrier] Town Crier May 17, 2019

Easton Town Crier eastontowncrier at list.easton.ma.us
Fri May 17 12:32:37 UTC 2019

LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS AND NOTICES
Annual Town Meeting is Monday, May 20 at 7:00 PM
Annual Town Meeting will take place on Monday, May 20, 2019 at 7:00 pm in the Oliver Ames High School Auditorium. The warrant for Annual Town Meeting is available here<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/cbceb5ad-cc71-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/ATM%20Final%20Warrant%20May%2020,%202019>. If you have any questions about your voter status, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530.
Town Offices Closed for Memorial Day
The Town Offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day and remembrance of the sacrifices made by members of the US Armed Forces.
Fiscal Year 2020 Budget for the Town of Easton and Easton Public Schools
The Town Administrator's Balanced Budget is available in a comprehensive document that contains both the operating and capital budgets for Fiscal Year 2020. The budget information is presented in a helpful and user friendly format that includes a citizen's guide to the budget, a budget summary for each department, and a glossary of common municipal finance terminology. A full copy of the Town's Fiscal Year 2020 Budget is available here<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/77304f96-3770-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/Annual%20Budget%20for%20Fiscal%20Year%20Starting%20July%2001,%202019>.
Notice of Board and Committee Term Expirations and Vacancies as of June 30, 2019
Applications for appointments to Boards, Commissions, Committees and Councils will be accepted at the Board of Selectmen's Office, Town Office, 136 Elm Street, Easton, MA 02356 until Friday, May 31, 2019. Incumbents with terms expiring on June 30, 2019 are open to re-appointment but in order to be considered also need to reapply by completing the online volunteer application form. The required volunteer application and list of vacancies may be accessed here<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php>. If you are interested in volunteering for one of these positions, please complete the fillable form<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php> and click "submit". If you have any questions please call the Selectmen's Office at (508) 230-0501.
Beginning May 20: Bristol County Mosquito Control
Bristol County Mosquito Control will start taking spray requests on Monday, May 20, 2019. Email: requestbristolmcp at comcast.net<mailto:requestbristolmcp at comcast.net> or call (508) 823-5253. Please include your first name, last name, full address, including zip code. Spraying will begin on Tuesday, May 28 weather permitting. For more information, visit https://www.mass.gov/service-details/adulticiding - you may also access the spraying schedule on this web page. To make a residential exclusion request, please visit: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-request-exclusion-from-wide-area-pesticides-application .
May 21: Representative O'Connell to Hold Office Hours in Easton
State Representative Shaunna O'Connell will be holding office hours on Tuesday, May 21 from 4:30 - 5:30 pm at Queset House, located at 51 Main Street, North Easton, MA 02356. Anyone wishing to meet with her may call 617-722-2305<tel:617-722-2305> to reserve an appointment, including appointments that need to be scheduled outside office hours. Scheduling an appointment is not required but is recommended.
Town of Easton Employment Opportunities
The Town of Easton has the following employment opportunities open:
Principal Clerk - Collector/Treasurer's Department
Communications Dispatcher - 32 hours per week
Wiring Inspector/Local Inspector/Zoning Code Enforcement Officer
For more information, and full job posting, please visit Town of Easton Employment Opportunities<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_opportunities.php>
Town of Easton Email
Gmail is currently treating Easton's email domain (@easton.ma.us) as spam. As a result, emails from the Town of Easton are being automatically identified as spam and sent to the spam folder. If you are contacting or conducting business with the town online or via email, please be sure to check your junk folder for email notices and replies. We have contacted Google and hope to have the situation resolved as soon as possible.  In the meantime, please visit Gmail's help page<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop> for information on how to stop an email from being sent to spam and delivered to your inbox in the future.
National Grid Pole Replacement
National Grid has started replacing poles and equipment along Center Street from Depot Street to Main Street. The project is expected to take between 4 and 6 weeks. Please be patient with the construction in this area for the foreseeable future.
Waste Management Guide
Waste Management has published a guide for homeowners to explain what is recyclable at home and most common contaminants https://recycleoftenrecycleright.com/resources/for-home/.
Assessor's Office
The Easton Assessor's Office is in the process of doing cyclical inspections of Personal Property throughout the town. The inspections are being done over the next few weeks with the inspector going door-to-door to businesses to do inspections of both the interior and exterior of commercial and industrial properties. The Department of Revenue requires that every community re-inspect its personal property periodically. As a result, the Easton Board of Assessors inspects some of its property every year. In addition to meeting state requirements, the objective of this project is to assure the accuracy of the Town's assessing data. The inspector, Renee Holloran, will have a letter of identification on town letterhead and will be driving a Volkswagen Jetta. For further information, contact the Assessors' Office at 508-230-0520.
The Public Health Nurse will be available for Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar screening for Easton Residents (on a walk in basis, no appointment needed) according to the following schedule:

*       Parker Terrace Community Room - Tuesday, June 4 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Frothingham Hall - COA (15 Barrows St) Thursday, June 13 (10:30AM-11:30AM)

*       Elise Circle Community Room - Tuesday, May 21 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Town Hall (136 Elm St., Mary Connolly Room, 2nd Floor) - Monday, May 20 (3PM-4PM)
To view the Easton Board of Health Public Health Nurse schedule for the entire year, please refer to Public Nurse Schedule<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/0179ce56-8f07-e911-a2c8-000c29a59557/Public%20Nurse%20Schedule%204%20locations%202019.pdf>
Meetings Next Week: May 20 through May 24
See time, date, location, and agenda details on our helpful calendar app: Town of Easton Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Calendar>. Questions relating to public meetings should be directed to the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530. Stay informed of all town board and committee business by signing up for email notifications with our Minutes on Demand service! Sign up here.<http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/EmailNotifications/Login>
Now through September 30:  Phase II Water Restrictions in Place in Easton
Mandatory outside water restrictions are in place from May 1st to September 30th. This action is necessary to be in compliance with the Town's Water Management Act Permit. For more information on the web, please go to water restrictions<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/dpw/water_division/water_restriction.php>. Phase II restricts water on an even/odd basis as follows:
*     Customers at even-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Monday and Thursday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
*     Customers at odd-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Tuesday and Friday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Handheld hoses will be allowed anytime.
Now through October 11: Department of Public Works Summer Hours
Beginning Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - October 11, 2019 the DPW summer office hours are as follows:
DPW: (Monday - Thursday) 7:00AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 7:00AM-10:00AM
Building & Grounds: (Monday - Thursday) 6:00AM-3:00PM and (Fridays) 6:00AM-10:00AM
Highway Division: (Monday - Thursday) 6:30AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 6:30AM-10:30AM
Easton Fire Department Reminds Residents that Open Burning Season Ended May 1
Chief Kevin Partridge would to remind residents that the town's open burning period ended May 1. Residents were able to burn brush, cane, driftwood, tree pruning and other forestry with a permit granted by the Easton Fire Department. The burning period spanned from Jan. 15 to May 1.
Now through End of August: Fire Station #2 at 87 Depot Street - Under Construction - Closed
Fire Station #2 on Depot Street will be closed from May 6 through the end of August while construction happens, to add an addition and renovate the existing station. Fire Personnel and apparatus will be housed during the period of construction at Fire Station #3; on Bay road. Please remember to call 911 immediately in the event of an emergency.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS

Easton Recreation Full Day Summer Program
This program is for children ages 6-13 (14-15 for the Workreation Program). The program is held at the Easton Middle School. The new extended hours are 8:30am-4:00pm. There are 6 one-week sessions starting July 8th running through August 16th that include fun filled activities throughout the day. Each session includes one field trip, a day of swimming, sports, arts and crafts and much more. Register now for your child to take part in some summer fun! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
Foster Parent Recruitment for The Department of Children and Families
Is there room in your home and heart for a foster child? The Department of Children and Families is actively recruiting foster parents for children in Easton coming into care. We are searching for individuals or families with the love and patience to help foster children. You can be single, married, partnered, divorced or widowed. You can own your home or rent. We need homes for children aged 0 to 22, which include sibling groups, children with special needs, medically involved children, and infants born, exposed to drugs and older teens. We are looking for long-term foster homes but also have a need for emergency and respite homes, which involve a shorter time commitment on the part of a foster family. Our goal is to provide our foster children with a supportive and healing environment in a home in their own community until they can be reunited with their families or another plan can be made on their behalf. The rewards of providing daily care, guidance and acceptance are immeasurable. If you are thinking about becoming a foster parent, you can learn more about the application process by visiting our website: www.mass.gov/foster-care<http://www.mass.gov/foster-care> or by calling     1-800-KIDS-508

Ames Free Library

The Ames Free Library now offers Home Delivery service to Easton residents who are temporarily or permanently unable to visit the Library in-person. For more information, visit our Home Delivery<https://amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery> page! Link: https://www.amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery
South Coast Rail Project
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is transitioning all project websites into the newly designed, statewide www.mass.gov<http://www.mass.gov> website. The South Coast Rail's new project website can be found at: www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail<http://www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail>.

May 17: Let's Make Fidget Blankets

Friday, May 17th from 1:00-2:00 pm, Let's Make Fidget Blankets. What is a Fidget Mat? It is a unique work of art whose purpose is to provide entertainment and to safely stimulate and/or calm persons with Dementia. We will use buttons, zippers, loops, laces, beads, toys and other bits & pieces to be sewn onto a lap-size piece of fabric, which will be quilted. By incorporating various fibers, textures and colors, the Fidget Mat becomes an individual treasure, which is reminiscent of a toddler's "Busy Box."

Do you prefer to knit or crochet? If so, another project with the same purpose is the Twiddle Muff, which is created in a circular design, enhanced with the same charms as Fidget Mats, and worn as a sleeve. Queset House, 51 Main Street, Easton. Free and Open to All. Our Fidget Mats and Twiddle Muffs will be donated to memory units within area treatment centers.

May 17: Teen Advisory Board (TAB)

Friday, May 17th from 3:30-4:30 pm, Teen Advisory Board (TAB). Are you between the ages of 12 and 18? Do you want to have a say in what happens at YOUR library? If you answered yes to these questions, please consider joining the AFL Teen Advisory Board! By joining the AFL Teen Advisory Board you can:
*       Help plan events and programs at your library
*       Help choose library materials, like books, movies, and games
*       Help promote library awareness
Queset House, 51 Main Street, Easton. Free and Open to All
May 21: Taste of Easton & Business Expo
The Easton Chamber of Commerce is presenting the 12th annual Taste of Easton & Business Expo at Stonehill College on Tuesday, May 21st from 6-8PM. This event is a celebration of the many dining options in the Easton area and is coupled with an expo featuring local businesses. Tickets are $20 in advance, with a limited number available at the door for $25. The event usually sells out, so we recommend you buy tickets early. Tickets can be purchased at both Bank of Easton branches, Shaw's and Roche Bros. of Easton, and online through the event website, www.tasteofeaston.com<http://www.tasteofeaston.com>. A portion of the proceeds are donated to the Easton Food Pantry. For more information, visit the website or call the Easton Chamber of Commerce at 508-238-2225.

May 19: Easton Historical Society - Robert Wooster & Jon Coe

Sunday, May 19 at the Easton Historical Society from 1 to 5 Robert Wooster and photographer Jon Coe will autograph their book "A Beautiful Image of Historic Easton" - 250 pages of more than 500 photographs. Funded by the North Easton Savings Bank and because the authors are not accepting any money, all profits will be used for the fire protection/ archival storage project for the Station. At 2 PM the authors will explain how this two-year project was accomplished.
May 22: Author Talk with Ted Reinstein: New England's General Stores
Ted Reinstein is a longtime reporter for Boston's celebrated nightly TV news-magazine, Chronicle, and author of several books on New England. Written with his wife, former ABC journalist Anne-Marie Dorning, New England's General Stores looks at how the humble general store helped shape New England, and how this iconic institution continues to be a vital gathering place for towns all across the region. This 50-minute presentation full of interesting anecdotes will be followed by a Q&A session. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Event Location: Queset House, 51 Main Street, North Easton. Free and open to all, thanks to the generous sponsorship of Avery Lee Williams. Visit www.amesfreelibrary.org<http://www.amesfreelibrary.org> for more information.
May 23: Easton Music Department Presents Broadway Night
Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 7pm, The Easton Music Department presents Broadway Night. Come enjoy talented Oliver Ames students perform a variety of Broadway songs! $10 at the door. I Oliver Ames High School, Dalrymple Performing Arts Center-100 Lothrop St., North Easton, MA 02356
May 23: Author Talk with A. Keith Carriero at the Queset House

>From 6:30-7:30PM A. Keith Carreiro is currently writing a nine-book, science fiction/fantasy series called The Immortality Wars. Selected readings will be taken from the first trilogy. Along with discussing the major themes and characters in the series, he will also address the writing process in getting this work published. Writing a story is only the first step of a long journey in getting it to market. Yet, as a result of the incredible innovations recently made in technology in the last two decades, writers have unprecedented tools in their hands to help bring their work to the attention of the public. Keith will share his experience about what he has learned to date about publishing and the critically related areas of marketing, distribution, public relations, promotion and sales. This is a program of interest for readers, writers and anyone who has thought of creating and publishing a book. Free and open to all. Queset House, 51 Main Street.
May 27:  Town Offices Closed for Memorial Day
The Town Offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day and remembrance of the sacrifices made by members of the US Armed Forces.
May 27: Memorial Day Parade
The 2019 Easton Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 27th beginning at the Church Street Cemetery. The parade will start at 2PM and will march up Depot Street to the Civil War Monument at the corner of Depot and Center Street where a ceremony will be held. All participants are encouraged to arrive at 1:30PM. If there is inclement weather the ceremony will take place at the VFW Hall, 148 Allen Road, N. Easton at 2PM. All are welcome and encouraged to attend!
May 29: South Shore Habitat for Humanity Information Session
South Shore Habitat for Humanity will be holding an Information Session for the sale of a 3 Bedroom 1.5 bath 1,200 sq. ft. home priced at $185,000 on Electric Avenue in Easton. Qualified households with income at or below 60% of the Area Median Income are encouraged to submit a complete application. The information session will be held: Wednesday May 29, 2019 at the South Shore Habitat office, 20 Mathewson Drive Weymouth at 6:30 PM. You do NOT need to attend this session to apply. Applications will be available that night, at the Easton Library, the South Shore Habitat ReStore 357 Columbia Rd in Hanover and can be downloaded from our website www.sshabitat.org/about#own-a-home<http://www.sshabitat.org/about#own-a-home>. Deadline for Applications is 4:00PM Thurs June 27, 2019. Questions to 781-337-7744 x 10 or nbrowne at sshabitat.org<mailto:nbrowne at sshabitat.org>. This project was funded in part through the Town of Easton Affordable Housing Trust and Community Preservation Act.

May 30: Frederick Law Olmsted and the Massachusetts Legacy
>From 6:30-7:30PM Frederick Law Olmsted is popularly considered to be the father of American landscape architecture. The firm Olmsted founded over a century ago has created over 1,200 landscape projects throughout Massachusetts, ranging from expansive 500-acre parks to intimate spaces such as Easton's iconic Rockery. ALAN S. BANKS has spent almost three decades researching and developing a variety of walking tours, slide lectures and presentations on Olmsted and their works. This one-hour slide lecture will sample Olmsted's rich landscape legacy. Free and open to all. Queset House, 51 Main Street.
June 1: Unity Church Spring Concert
Beginning at 7PM located at the Unity Church of North Easton, 9 Main St, N Easton. The Unity Church presents its annual spring concert featuring an eclectic mix of music ranging from folk to classical to rock. A handful of different performers from Unity Church and beyond will each perform a few songs in the church's beautiful sanctuary. All are welcome to attend, including families and children of all ages. A $10 donation to the church is suggested for entry, and refreshments will be available after the concert. We hope to see you there! Contact info: Jordan Potash, jordanpotash1 at gmail.com<mailto:jordanpotash1 at gmail.com>. Website: https://www.facebook.com/events/559130721278097/.
June 6: Oliver Ames Concert Band Chamber Night
The Oliver Ames Concert Band Chamber Night will be held on Thursday, June 6th at 6PM. Please join us for an evening of chamber music performed by the members of the Oliver Ames High School Concert Band. This free outdoor concert will feature classical, pop, and movie music arranged, rehearsed, and performed by students from the Concert Band. Refreshments will be served at the conclusion of the performance. Bring a chair or a blanket, grab a cookie, and let the OA music students entertain you! Queset Gardens, behind Ames Free Library, 53 Main Street, North Easton 02356 6pm. Admission is FREE- In the event of rain, the concert will be held at the Easton Middle School Auditorium- 98 Columbus Ave. North Easton, MA 02356
June 21 through June 23: Artist Call - Legacy Adult Art Show - Theme:  "Through the Eyes of the Artist"
Located at Oakes Ames Memorial Hall. The Legacy Adult Art Show (18 and over). A Different Show: Artists will choose a piece (open medium) based on what they consider either their best work; most creative; most emotionally charged, etc. That piece will be displayed. Work will then be juried for winners by Beth McLaughlin, Chief Curator, Fuller Craft Museum. Entries will be received digitally. Monetary prizes will be awarded to first, second & third place winners. For prospectus email fairewind7 at aol.com<mailto:fairewind7 at aol.com> (Legacy 4 in subject line, please) or call 508 230 5874. Show coincides with Legacy Art/Music/Food Fun Festival and Junior Art Show on June 23rd.

June 22: Opening Day! Easton Town Pool
Opening day for the Easton Town Pool is Saturday, June 22nd at 12:00pm! Come see the improvements to the pool house and enjoy free admission on Opening Day! The Easton Town Pool is a fun-filled place that everyone of all ages can enjoy.  We offer senior, individual, and family memberships, as well as swim lessons. Please sign up early! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
About the Town Crier
The Town Crier is typically sent on Fridays informing subscribers of local government news, notices and community events. To request an event be added to a future newsletter, please send an email to lflorio at easton.ma.us<mailto:lflorio at easton.ma.us> with the information in plain text as you wish it to appear. For consideration, please include event information, the name of the group/event, date, time, location, contact information and website if applicable. Please list all dates that you want to run the notice. The Town reserves the right to reject requests deemed not to be in the public interest or those promoting private benefits and is not responsible for typographical errors. Requests for inclusion must be received no later than Thursday 12:30PM in order to be considered for inclusion in that Friday's newsletter. Requests in the form of PDFs, JPEGs, press releases, etc. will not be accepted. Have a great weekend.

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Town-of-Easton-MA/109553865754359?sk=wall>Follow us on Facebook
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/#!/townofeaston>Follow us on Twitter

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this e-mail and join us in saving paper.

The Secretary of State's Office has determined email is a public record. All e-mail communications sent or received by persons using the Town of Easton network may be subject to disclosure under the Massachusetts Public Records Law (M.G.L. Chapter 66, Section 10) and the Federal Freedom of Information Act