[Eastontowncrier] Town Crier Friday, May 24, 2019

Easton Town Crier eastontowncrier at list.easton.ma.us
Fri May 24 12:42:24 UTC 2019

LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS AND NOTICES
Town Offices Closed for Memorial Day
The Town Offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day and remembrance of the sacrifices made by members of the US Armed Forces.
Fiscal Year 2020 Budget for the Town of Easton and Easton Public Schools
The Town Administrator's Balanced Budget is available in a comprehensive document that contains both the operating and capital budgets for Fiscal Year 2020. The budget information is presented in a helpful and user friendly format that includes a citizen's guide to the budget, a budget summary for each department, and a glossary of common municipal finance terminology. A full copy of the Town's Fiscal Year 2020 Budget is available here<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/77304f96-3770-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/Annual%20Budget%20for%20Fiscal%20Year%20Starting%20July%2001,%202019>.
Notice of Board and Committee Term Expirations and Vacancies as of June 30, 2019
Applications for appointments to Boards, Commissions, Committees and Councils will be accepted at the Board of Selectmen's Office, Town Office, 136 Elm Street, Easton, MA 02356 until Friday, May 31, 2019. Incumbents with terms expiring on June 30, 2019 are open to re-appointment but in order to be considered also need to reapply by completing the online volunteer application form. The required volunteer application and list of vacancies may be accessed here<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php>. If you are interested in volunteering for one of these positions, please complete the fillable form<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php> and click "submit". If you have any questions please call the Selectmen's Office at (508) 230-0501.
Beginning May 20: Bristol County Mosquito Control
Bristol County Mosquito Control will start taking spray requests on Monday, May 20, 2019. Email: requestbristolmcp at comcast.net<mailto:requestbristolmcp at comcast.net> or call (508) 823-5253. Please include your first name, last name, full address, including zip code. Spraying will begin on Tuesday, May 28 weather permitting. For more information, visit https://www.mass.gov/service-details/adulticiding - you may also access the spraying schedule on this web page. To make a residential exclusion request, please visit: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-request-exclusion-from-wide-area-pesticides-application .
Town of Easton Email
Gmail is currently treating Easton's email domain (@easton.ma.us) as spam. As a result, emails from the Town of Easton are being automatically identified as spam and sent to the spam folder. If you are contacting or conducting business with the town online or via email, please be sure to check your junk folder for email notices and replies. We have contacted Google and hope to have the situation resolved as soon as possible.  In the meantime, please visit Gmail's help page<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop> for information on how to stop an email from being sent to spam and delivered to your inbox in the future.
National Grid Pole Replacement
National Grid has started replacing poles and equipment along Center Street from Depot Street to Main Street. The project is expected to take between 4 and 6 weeks. Please be patient with the construction in this area for the foreseeable future.
Waste Management Guide
Waste Management has published a guide for homeowners to explain what is recyclable at home and most common contaminants https://recycleoftenrecycleright.com/resources/for-home/.
The Public Health Nurse will be available for Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar screening for Easton Residents (on a walk in basis, no appointment needed) according to the following schedule:

*       Parker Terrace Community Room - Tuesday, June 4 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Frothingham Hall - COA (15 Barrows St) Thursday, June 13 (10:30AM-11:30AM)

*       Elise Circle Community Room - Tuesday, June 18 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Town Hall (136 Elm St., Mary Connolly Room, 2nd Floor) - Monday, June 24 (3PM-4PM)
To view the Easton Board of Health Public Health Nurse schedule for the entire year, please refer to Public Nurse Schedule<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/0179ce56-8f07-e911-a2c8-000c29a59557/Public%20Nurse%20Schedule%204%20locations%202019.pdf>
Meetings Next Week: May 27 through May 31
See time, date, location, and agenda details on our helpful calendar app: Town of Easton Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Calendar>. Questions relating to public meetings should be directed to the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530. Stay informed of all town board and committee business by signing up for email notifications with our Minutes on Demand service! Sign up here.<http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/EmailNotifications/Login>

May 29: Five Corners Sewer Construction Project Phase II Neighborhood Meeting

Easton, MA - The Easton Department of Public Works has scheduled a neighborhood meeting at the Easton Middle School Auditorium located at 98 Columbus Avenue on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. to provide information about Phase II of the Five Corners Sewer Project and to update residents and business about the upcoming construction. The Project Team will provide an overview of the construction schedule, discuss potential construction and traffic challenges for the community and answer questions that residents and business owners may have about the construction project. This meeting is focused on the construction project, not sewer betterments and other project financing. A public sewer betterment workshop for property owners will be hosted by the Board of Selectmen/Sewer Commissioners in early summer. Sign up for project email updates and alerts, and learn more by visiting www.fivecornerssewer.com<http://www.fivecornerssewer.com/> or by calling (888) 527-6797.
Now through September 30:  Phase II Water Restrictions in Place in Easton
Mandatory outside water restrictions are in place from May 1st to September 30th. This action is necessary to be in compliance with the Town's Water Management Act Permit. For more information on the web, please go to water restrictions<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/dpw/water_division/water_restriction.php>. Phase II restricts water on an even/odd basis as follows:
*     Customers at even-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Monday and Thursday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
*     Customers at odd-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Tuesday and Friday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Handheld hoses will be allowed anytime.
Now through October 11: Department of Public Works Summer Hours
Beginning Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - October 11, 2019 the DPW summer office hours are as follows:
DPW: (Monday - Thursday) 7:00AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 7:00AM-10:00AM
Building & Grounds: (Monday - Thursday) 6:00AM-3:00PM and (Fridays) 6:00AM-10:00AM
Highway Division: (Monday - Thursday) 6:30AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 6:30AM-10:30AM
Easton Fire Department Reminds Residents that Open Burning Season Ended May 1
Chief Kevin Partridge would to remind residents that the town's open burning period ended May 1. Residents were able to burn brush, cane, driftwood, tree pruning and other forestry with a permit granted by the Easton Fire Department. The burning period spanned from Jan. 15 to May 1.
Now through End of August: Fire Station #2 at 87 Depot Street - Under Construction - Closed
Fire Station #2 on Depot Street will be closed from May 6 through the end of August while construction happens, to add an addition and renovate the existing station. Fire Personnel and apparatus will be housed during the period of construction at Fire Station #3; on Bay road. Please remember to call 911 immediately in the event of an emergency.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS
Ames Free Library Closed for Memorial Day
The Ames Free Library will be closed Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.

Easton Recreation Full Day Summer Program - Sessions Are Still Open - Register Now!
This program is for children ages 6-13 (14-15 for the Workreation Program). The program is held at the Easton Middle School. The new extended hours are 8:30am-4:00pm. There are 6 one-week sessions starting July 8th running through August 16th that include fun filled activities throughout the day. Each session includes one field trip, a day of swimming, sports, arts and crafts and much more. Register now for your child to take part in some summer fun! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
Foster Parent Recruitment for The Department of Children and Families
Is there room in your home and heart for a foster child? The Department of Children and Families is actively recruiting foster parents for children in Easton coming into care. We are searching for individuals or families with the love and patience to help foster children. You can be single, married, partnered, divorced or widowed. You can own your home or rent. We need homes for children aged 0 to 22, which include sibling groups, children with special needs, medically involved children, and infants born, exposed to drugs and older teens. We are looking for long-term foster homes but also have a need for emergency and respite homes, which involve a shorter time commitment on the part of a foster family. Our goal is to provide our foster children with a supportive and healing environment in a home in their own community until they can be reunited with their families or another plan can be made on their behalf. The rewards of providing daily care, guidance and acceptance are immeasurable. If you are thinking about becoming a foster parent, you can learn more about the application process by visiting our website: www.mass.gov/foster-care<http://www.mass.gov/foster-care> or by calling     1-800-KIDS-508

Ames Free Library

The Ames Free Library now offers Home Delivery service to Easton residents who are temporarily or permanently unable to visit the Library in-person. For more information, visit our Home Delivery<https://amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery> page! Link: https://www.amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery
South Coast Rail Project
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is transitioning all project websites into the newly designed, statewide www.mass.gov<http://www.mass.gov> website. The South Coast Rail's new project website can be found at: www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail<http://www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail>.

May 24: American Legion Post 7 Meeting

The American Legion Post 7 Easton, Ma invites any interested veterans to their next meeting on Tuesday, May 24, 2019. The Meeting begins at 7:00PM and normally runs until 8PM at the VFW Hall 61 Rockland Street on the corner of Allen Road, Easton, Ma.
May 25: Original Easton Farmer's Market Goes Outdoors from 10AM-2PM
Come on down to the summer market location on the Depot Street S-Curve near Shaw's Grocery Store. Welcome Monica Lawson Arts (photography and artwork) and Carter Safari (upcycled tote bags). They join our dependable sources of farm goods and locally sourced products provided by: Daddy's Homegrown (beef); Oakdale Farm (produce); and Rosie Bud (honey and honey-based products). You might even see local favorite Bridgewater Village Bakery back in town, Gardens of Easton, and Doug's Hiking Sticks. Check out Original Easton Farmer's Market Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/EastonOriginalFarmersMarket/> for the latest information.
May 27: Town Offices Closed for Memorial Day
The Town Offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day and remembrance of the sacrifices made by members of the US Armed Forces.
May 27: Memorial Day Parade
The 2019 Easton Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 27th beginning at the Church Street Cemetery. The parade will start at 2PM and will march up Depot Street to the Civil War Monument at the corner of Depot and Center Street where a ceremony will be held. All participants are encouraged to arrive at 1:30PM. If there is inclement weather the ceremony will take place at the VFW Hall, 148 Allen Road, N. Easton at 2PM. All are welcome and encouraged to attend!

May 28: Find a Job with Lynda.com - A Series for the Curious Beginner - Session 3 Interviewing Skills

>From 3:30-4:30 PM. Join us for an introductory class series on how to use our popular learning platform, Lynda.com<https://www.lynda.com/>, to find, apply, and interview for your next job. Finding the right classes on Lynda.com can be daunting. Let our Adult Services Librarian share her favorite Lynda.com job-hunting videos with you. Q&A will follow. These 1-hour classes are perfect for those who are curious about using Lynda.com to get ahead in their career and for those who are currently job-hunting and preparing for job interviews in a variety of industries. Please register using the form below. Paper and writing utensils will be provided for note-taking during the session. Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops, but a limited number of library laptops are also available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Already familiar with Lynda.com? Make an appointment with one of our librarians for one-on-one Job Searching assistance here<https://afl.simplybook.me/v2/#book/category/2/service/39/>. Session 1: Job Search Strategies<https://amesfreelibrary.org/events/2019/04/24/find-job-lyndacom-session-1-job-search-strategies>-POSTPONED-Tuesday, May 14, 3:30-4:30 PM. Session 2: Job Search Strategies PLUS Resumes & Cover Letters<https://amesfreelibrary.org/events/2019/04/24/find-job-lyndacom-session-2-job-search-strategies-plus-resumes-cover-letters>-Tuesday, May 21, 3:30-4:30 PM. Event Location: Queset House, 2nd Floor Conference Room.
May 29: South Shore Habitat for Humanity Information Session
South Shore Habitat for Humanity will be holding an Information Session for the sale of a 3 Bedroom 1.5 bath 1,200 sq. ft. home priced at $185,000 on Electric Avenue in Easton. Qualified households with income at or below 60% of the Area Median Income are encouraged to submit a complete application. The information session will be held: Wednesday May 29, 2019 at the South Shore Habitat office, 20 Mathewson Drive Weymouth at 6:30 PM. You do NOT need to attend this session to apply. Applications will be available that night, at the Easton Library, the South Shore Habitat ReStore 357 Columbia Rd in Hanover and can be downloaded from our website www.sshabitat.org/about#own-a-home<http://www.sshabitat.org/about#own-a-home>. Deadline for Applications is 4:00PM Thurs June 27, 2019. Questions to 781-337-7744 x 10 or nbrowne at sshabitat.org<mailto:nbrowne at sshabitat.org>. This project was funded in part through the Town of Easton Affordable Housing Trust and Community Preservation Act.

May 30: Frederick Law Olmsted and the Massachusetts Legacy
>From 6:30-7:30PM Frederick Law Olmsted is popularly considered to be the father of American landscape architecture. The firm Olmsted founded over a century ago has created over 1,200 landscape projects throughout Massachusetts, ranging from expansive 500-acre parks to intimate spaces such as Easton's iconic Rockery. Alan S. Banks has spent almost three decades researching and developing a variety of walking tours, slide lectures and presentations on Olmsted and their works. This one-hour slide lecture will sample Olmsted's rich landscape legacy. Free and open to all. Queset House, 51 Main Street.

May 30: Mystery Book Club

>From 3-4PM. This month we will be discussing The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. Come and join the discussion. Queset House, 51 Main Street. Free and Open to All.
June 1: Unity Church Spring Concert
Beginning at 7PM located at the Unity Church of North Easton, 9 Main St, N Easton. The Unity Church presents its annual spring concert featuring an eclectic mix of music ranging from folk to classical to rock. A handful of different performers from Unity Church and beyond will each perform a few songs in the church's beautiful sanctuary. All are welcome to attend, including families and children of all ages. A $10 donation to the church is suggested for entry, and refreshments will be available after the concert. We hope to see you there! Contact info: Jordan Potash, jordanpotash1 at gmail.com<mailto:jordanpotash1 at gmail.com>. Website: https://www.facebook.com/events/559130721278097/.
June 1: Active Bystander Training - Frothingham Hall
If you are a bystander witnessing a harmful situation, you have a choice to make: Do you do something? What do you do? This training, sponsored by The Old Colony YMCA and Easton's Human Rights Committee, helps participants recognize when they are bystanders, analyze situations, and evaluate the consequences for everyone involved. Saturday, June 1 from 10AM-12PM located at Frothingham Hall, 15 Barrows Street, Easton. Training provided by Quabbin Mediation of Orange, MA. Space is limited to 30 participants. RSVP to humanrights at easton.ma.us<http://ma.us>.
June 6: Oliver Ames Concert Band Chamber Night
The Oliver Ames Concert Band Chamber Night will be held on Thursday, June 6th at 6PM. Please join us for an evening of chamber music performed by the members of the Oliver Ames High School Concert Band. This free outdoor concert will feature classical, pop, and movie music arranged, rehearsed, and performed by students from the Concert Band. Refreshments will be served at the conclusion of the performance. Bring a chair or a blanket, grab a cookie, and let the OA music students entertain you! Queset Gardens, behind Ames Free Library, 53 Main Street, North Easton 02356 6pm. Admission is FREE- In the event of rain, the concert will be held at the Easton Middle School Auditorium- 98 Columbus Ave. North Easton, MA 02356
June 20: Easton Music Parents Organization Presents - A Very Fabulous Vegas Night Tempo Fundraiser
Thursday, June 20, 2019 The Easton Music Parents Organization presents A Very Fabulous Vegas Night Tempo Fundraiser. Live auction, raffles, music, food & fun! Please join us and support Easton music. 7PM-11PM at the Easton Country Club, 265 Purchase Street, South Easton, MA 02375. To purchase tickets and for more info: www.eastontempo.weebly.com<http://www.eastontempo.weebly.com>
June 21 through June 23: Artist Call - Legacy Adult Art Show - Theme:  "Through the Eyes of the Artist"
Located at Oakes Ames Memorial Hall. The Legacy Adult Art Show (18 and over). A Different Show: Artists will choose a piece (open medium) based on what they consider either their best work; most creative; most emotionally charged, etc. That piece will be displayed. Work will then be juried for winners by Beth McLaughlin, Chief Curator, and Fuller Craft Museum. Entries will be received digitally. Monetary prizes will be awarded to first, second & third place winners. For prospectus email fairewind7 at aol.com<mailto:fairewind7 at aol.com> (Legacy 4 in subject line, please) or call 508 230 5874. Show coincides with Legacy Art/Music/Food Fun Festival and Junior Art Show on June 23rd.

June 22: Opening Day! Easton Town Pool
Opening day for the Easton Town Pool is Saturday, June 22nd at 12:00pm! Come see the improvements to the pool house and enjoy free admission on Opening Day! The Easton Town Pool is a fun-filled place that every one of all ages can enjoy.  We offer senior, individual, and family memberships, as well as swim lessons. Please sign up early! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
About the Town Crier
The Town Crier is typically sent on Fridays informing subscribers of local government news, notices and community events. To request an event be added to a future newsletter, please send an email to lflorio at easton.ma.us<mailto:lflorio at easton.ma.us> with the information in plain text as you wish it to appear. For consideration, please include event information, the name of the group/event, date, time, location, contact information and website if applicable. Please list all dates that you want to run the notice. The Town reserves the right to reject requests deemed not to be in the public interest or those promoting private benefits and is not responsible for typographical errors. Requests for inclusion must be received no later than Thursday 12:30PM in order to be considered for inclusion in that Friday's newsletter. Requests in the form of PDFs, JPEGs, press releases, etc. will not be accepted. Have a great weekend.

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Town-of-Easton-MA/109553865754359?sk=wall>Follow us on Facebook
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/#!/townofeaston>Follow us on Twitter

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this e-mail and join us in saving paper.

The Secretary of State's Office has determined email is a public record. All e-mail communications sent or received by persons using the Town of Easton network may be subject to disclosure under the Massachusetts Public Records Law (M.G.L. Chapter 66, Section 10) and the Federal Freedom of Information Act