[Eastontowncrier] Town Crier for May 10, 2019

Easton Town Crier eastontowncrier at list.easton.ma.us
Thu May 9 20:35:32 UTC 2019

LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS AND NOTICES
May 21: Representative O'Connell to Hold Office Hours in Easton
State Representative Shaunna O'Connell will be holding office hours on Tuesday, May 21 from 4:30 - 5:30 pm at Queset House, located at 51 Main Street, North Easton, MA 02356. Anyone wishing to meet with her may call 617-722-2305<tel:617-722-2305> to reserve an appointment, including appointments that need to be scheduled outside office hours. Scheduling an appointment is not required but is recommended.
Notice of Board and Committee Term Expirations and Vacancies as of June 30, 2019
Applications for appointments to Boards, Commissions, Committees and Councils will be accepted at the Board of Selectmen's Office, Town Office, 136 Elm Street, Easton, MA 02356 until Friday, May 31, 2019. Incumbents with terms expiring on June 30, 2019 are open to re-appointment but in order to be considered also need to reapply by completing the online volunteer application form. The required volunteer application and list of vacancies may be accessed here<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php>. If you are interested in volunteering for one of these positions, please complete the fillable form<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_volunteer_opportunities/index.php> and click "submit". If you have any questions please call the Selectmen's Office at (508) 230-0501.
Notice of State Roadway Work on Rt. 138 at Roche Brother's
Estimated Start Date of Work: 4/23/19
Project Type: Roadway Resurfacing
Description of Work: Milling and Paving on Rt. 138 at Roche Brother's Intersection
Hours of Operations (Day/Night): Night (8:00 PM - 5:00 AM)
Description of Traffic Management: Anticipate one lane closure with one directional traffic. Police officers, warning signs, light towers, arrow boards, truck-mounted attenuators and cones will be utilized for construction setups. Estimated Duration of Work: From 4/23/19 to 4/24/19 milling, 5/5/19-5/7/19 paving and returning a week or two later for line striping. All operations are weather dependent
Additional information: Public inquiries should be directed to the District 5 office 508-824-6633
Town of Easton Employment Opportunities
The Town of Easton has the following employment opportunities open:
Principal Clerk - Collector/Treasurer's Department
Communications Dispatcher - 32 hours per week
Water Systems Technician
Recreation - Seasonal Employment Opportunities
Wiring Inspector/Local Inspector/Zoning Code Enforcement Officer
For more information, and full job posting, please visit Town of Easton Employment Opportunities<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_opportunities.php>
Town of Easton Email
Gmail is currently treating Easton's email domain (@easton.ma.us) as spam. As a result, emails from the Town of Easton are being automatically identified as spam and sent to the spam folder. If you are contacting or conducting business with the town online or via email, please be sure to check your junk folder for email notices and replies. We have contacted Google and hope to have the situation resolved as soon as possible.  In the meantime, please visit Gmail's help page<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop> for information on how to stop an email from being sent to spam and delivered to your inbox in the future.
Town Administrator's Preliminary FY2020 Budget Memo and Summary
Click Here<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/?l=ad89052f491a408f995b5f462da74ff8&r=2019&d=d480b7a7e62ee911a2c9000c29a59557> to view the Town Administrator's Preliminary FY2020 Budget Memo and Summary.

The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP)

Recently the MassDEP launched five programs that provide funding to encourage and support the use of electric vehicles.
*   MassEVIP Workplace Charging Program<https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-massevip-workplace-charging-incentives> open enrollment grant providing 60 percent of cost of hardware of Level 1 (120 volt) or Level 2 (240 volt) EV charging station to eligible employers with 15 or more employees in a non-residential place of business.
*   MassEVIP Multi-Unit Dwelling Charging Program<https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-massevip-multi-unit-dwelling-charging-incentives> open enrollment grant providing 60 percent of cost of hardware of a Level 1 or Level 2 EV charging station to eligible property owners with 10 or more residential units at the location.
National Grid Pole Replacement
National Grid has started replacing poles and equipment along Center Street from Depot Street to Main Street. The project is expected to take between 4 and 6 weeks. Please be patient with the construction in this area for the foreseeable future.
Waste Management Guide
Waste Management has published a guide for homeowners to explain what is recyclable at home and most common contaminants https://recycleoftenrecycleright.com/resources/for-home/.
Assessor's Office
The Easton Assessor's Office is in the process of doing cyclical inspections of Personal Property throughout the town. The inspections are being done over the next few weeks with the inspector going door-to-door to businesses to do inspections of both the interior and exterior of commercial and industrial properties. The Department of Revenue requires that every community re-inspect its personal property periodically. As a result, the Easton Board of Assessors inspects some of its property every year. In addition to meeting state requirements, the objective of this project is to assure the accuracy of the Town's assessing data. The inspector, Renee Holloran, will have a letter of identification on town letterhead and will be driving a Volkswagen Jetta. For further information, contact the Assessors' Office at 508-230-0520.
The Public Health Nurse will be available for Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar screening for Easton Residents (on a walk in basis, no appointment needed) according to the following schedule:

*       Parker Terrace Community Room - Tuesday, June 4 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Frothingham Hall - COA (15 Barrows St) Thursday, June 13 (10:30AM-11:30AM)

*       Elise Circle Community Room - Tuesday, May 21 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Town Hall (136 Elm St., Mary Connolly Room, 2nd Floor) - Monday, May 20 (3PM-4PM)
To view the Easton Board of Health Public Health Nurse schedule for the entire year, please refer to Public Nurse Schedule<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/0179ce56-8f07-e911-a2c8-000c29a59557/Public%20Nurse%20Schedule%204%20locations%202019.pdf>
Meetings Next Week: May 13 through May 17
See time, date, location, and agenda details on our helpful calendar app: Town of Easton Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Calendar>. Questions relating to public meetings should be directed to the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530. Stay informed of all town board and committee business by signing up for email notifications with our Minutes on Demand service! Sign up here.<http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/EmailNotifications/Login>
Now through September 30:  Phase II Water Restrictions in Place in Easton
Mandatory outside water restrictions are in place from May 1st to September 30th. This action is necessary to be in compliance with the Town's Water Management Act Permit. For more information on the web, please go to water restrictions<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/dpw/water_division/water_restriction.php>. Phase II restricts water on an even/odd basis as follows:
*     Customers at even-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Monday and Thursday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
*     Customers at odd-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Tuesday and Friday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Handheld hoses will be allowed anytime.
Now through October 11: Department of Public Works Summer Hours
Beginning Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - October 11, 2019 the DPW summer office hours are as follows:
DPW: (Monday - Thursday) 7:00AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 7:00AM-10:00AM
Building & Grounds: (Monday - Thursday) 6:00AM-3:00PM and (Fridays) 6:00AM-10:00AM
Highway Division: (Monday - Thursday) 6:30AM-3:30PM and (Fridays) 6:30AM-10:30AM
May 2: Open Burning Has ENDED
Now through September 30: Phase II Water Restrictions in Place in Easton
Mandatory outside water restrictions are in place from May 1st to September 30th. This action is necessary to be in compliance with the Town's Water Management Act Permit. For more information on the web, please go to water restrictions<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/dpw/water_division/water_restriction.php>.
Phase II restricts water on an even/odd basis as follows:
*     Customers at even-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Monday and Thursday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
*     Customers at odd-numbered addresses will be restricted to allow lawn watering only on Tuesday and Friday between the hours of 5:00 AM-8:00 AM and 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Handheld hoses will be allowed anytime.
May 6 through End of August: Fire Station #2 at 87 Depot Street - Under Construction - Closed
Fire Station #2 on Depot Street will be closed from May 6 through the end of August while construction happens, to add an addition and renovate the existing station. Fire Personnel and apparatus will be housed during the period of construction at Fire Station #3; on Bay road. Please remember to call 911 immediately in the event of an emergency.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS

Easton Recreation Full Day Summer Program
This program is for children ages 6-13 (14-15 for the Workreation Program). The program is held at the Easton Middle School. The new extended hours are 8:30am-4:00pm. There are 6 one-week sessions starting July 8th running through August 16th that include fun filled activities throughout the day. Each session includes one field trip, a day of swimming, sports, arts and crafts and much more. Register now for your child to take part in some summer fun! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
Foster Parent Recruitment for The Department of Children and Families
Is there room in your home and heart for a foster child? The Department of Children and Families is actively recruiting foster parents for children in Easton coming into care. We are searching for individuals or families with the love and patience to help foster children. You can be single, married, partnered, divorced or widowed. You can own your home or rent. We need homes for children aged 0 to 22, which include sibling groups, children with special needs, medically involved children, and infants born, exposed to drugs and older teens. We are looking for long-term foster homes but also have a need for emergency and respite homes, which involve a shorter time commitment on the part of a foster family. Our goal is to provide our foster children with a supportive and healing environment in a home in their own community until they can be reunited with their families or another plan can be made on their behalf. The rewards of providing daily care, guidance and acceptance are immeasurable. If you are thinking about becoming a foster parent, you can learn more about the application process by visiting our website: www.mass.gov/foster-care<http://www.mass.gov/foster-care> or by calling     1-800-KIDS-508

Ames Free Library

The Ames Free Library now offers Home Delivery service to Easton residents who are temporarily or permanently unable to visit the Library in-person. For more information, visit our Home Delivery<https://amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery> page! Link: https://www.amesfreelibrary.org/home-delivery

Saturdays: Learn How to Use Google's Free Apps at the Ames Free Library
Join Burt Lewis, an Easton tech expert, trainer, and local social media pioneer for a free session that will teach you to navigate Google. Sessions are held every Saturday from 11AM-3PM. Each session lasts one hour and pre-registration is required. Contact the Ames Free Library for more information or visit our website: www.AmesFreeLibrary.org<http://www.AmesFreeLibrary.org>
South Coast Rail Project
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is transitioning all project websites into the newly designed, statewide www.mass.gov<http://www.mass.gov> website. The South Coast Rail's new project website can be found at: www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail<http://www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail>.
May 5 through May 11: National Small Business Week
The Easton Economic Development Council would like to remind everyone that the week of May 5th is National Small Business Week. Click here<http://cms2.revize.com/revize/eastonma/newsdetail_T1_R667.php> for more information for events and services available to small business owners and to learn why supporting local small businesses benefit everyone.
May 10: Baby Bird and their Nests

>From 3:45-4:45PM. Just in time for Mother's Day - learn a bit about baby birds and their moms, presented by the Museum of American Bird Art. Followed by a hands-on clay craft! This program is best for ages 3-10, but siblings are welcome. Space is limited and registration is required (registration will open one month before the program). Please register only for the number of children who will attend. Adults accompanying the children do not need to register. Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Presentation Commons. Free program and open to all who are registered.
May 11: Who's At the Original Easton Farmer's Winter Market from 10AM-2PM?
Welcome Monica Lawson Arts (photography and artwork) to the Saturday market. She will be joining our other sources of farm goods and locally sourced products provided by: Treats to Meet (fabric gifts); All Hands In (personal care products for a cause); Creative Confections (delicious chocolates); Daddy's Homegrown (beef); Oakdale Farm (produce); and Rosie Bud (honey and honey-based products). The Original Easton Farmer's Market winter location is at the Fellowship Hall of the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 143 Lincoln Street in North Easton, until Memorial Day weekend. Check out our Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/EastonOriginalFarmersMarket/> for the latest information. Don't forget to bring your unused bicycles to donate to Bikes Not Bombs, a nonprofit organization in Jamaica Plain, who will be collecting used bikes of all sizes (except tricycles), as well as bike parts & bike tools, in the Lutheran Church parking lot.
May 11: Easton Garden Club - Annual Spring Plant Sale
Saturday, May 11th from 9AM-1PM located at the Center School/Yardley-Wood Skating Rink, South Easton, MA. It's time for our annual spring plant sale! Come visit us early for the best selection of garden-dug perennials, potted annuals, herbs, garden crafts, mother's day gifts, and our popular garden-related "white elephant" table. We will also have master gardeners on hand to answer any gardening questions, and a "kids' Corner" where little ones can plant some seeds. Come see us - rain or shine!
Thank you for your support!
May 11: Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
Saturday, May 11th marks the 27th anniversary of one of America's great days of giving - the National Association of Letter Carriers Stamp out Hunger Food Drive. Participating in this year's Letter Carrier Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive is simple. Just leave a non-perishable food donation in a bag at your mailbox on Saturday, May 11th and your letter carrier will do the rest. These donations go directly to local food pantries to provide food to people in Easton who need our help. We invite you to join in America's great day of giving and help us in our fight to end hunger. To volunteer with the sorting and packing the day of the drive please contact the Easton Food Pantry at 508-230-0670.

May 11: Bike Collection at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church - Bikes Not Bombs Non-Profit Organization

Bikes Not Bombs (BNB), a nonprofit organization in Jamaica Plain, will be coming to the church's parking lot located at 143 Lincoln Street in North Easton on Saturday, May 11th from 10AM-2PM to collect used bicycles, all sizes (except tricycles), to repurpose them. The best ones might be refurbished in their local shop, for sale to the public. Most will be shipped overseas to be used in areas where they could serve as transportation, etc. Here is a link to their website: https://bikesnotbombs.org/help-out/donate-bikes Check the website to see what they do and don't accept. They also accept bike parts, bike tools. Bikes DON'T need to be in working order. They are experts at fixing them! Because most of the bikes are shipped abroad in huge containers, BNB asks people to donate $10 along with each bike to help pay for their transportation. Questions, contact Rita at norijo at earthlink.net<mailto:norijo at earthlink.net> with this subject: Bike Collection
May 11: Foundation for Excellence in Education in Easton - Cornhole Tournament
Foundation for Excellence in Education in Easton (FEEE) is hosting its Inaugural Cornhole Tournament. Saturday, May 11th at Langwater Farm. Kids brackets ($30/2-person team) 11AM - 1PM; adult brackets ($35/2-person team) 1PM - 3PM. Oven pizza for sale by Langwater farm. Beer and wine for sale from Shoveltown Brewery. Join us for a fun and family-friendly day in Easton with a bit of friendly cornhole competition! https://forms.gle/ThdNCcGkViiaTBEw7<https://forms.gle/ThdNCcGkViiaTBEw7?fbclid=IwAR1Ntf-D3IhcQvmXkRAnIxCL4MasMR8UBJXhcpZ8r2hrrhOFnHymKz-DDQM> to register. Email info at feeeonline.org<mailto:info at feeeonline.org> with any questions.
May 13 and May 15: Ames Free Book Club
Monday, May 13th from 6:30-7:30PM and Wednesday, May 15th from 1:30-2:30PM, Ames Free Book Club. This month we will be discussing Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. Come and join the discussion. Queset House, 51 Main Street. Free and Open to All.
May 15: Women and Finance
Wednesday, May 5th from  3-4PM, Women and Finance. Are you hesitant to jump into the world of online bill paying or banking? Do you keep putting off setting up your 401k or IRA? Does talk of risk tolerance or asset allocation make you uneasy? Do you avoid financial planning because someone else in your household makes most of the financial decisions? Sit down with Mary to talk about some basic financial concepts from a woman's perspective. This is a discussion only and the goal is to make you more comfortable with finance and financial topics. Queset House, 51 Main Street, Easton. Free and Open to All. Please call to register: 508-238-2000 x 3.

May 17: Let's Make Fidget Blankets

Friday, May 17th from 1:00-2:00 pm, Let's Make Fidget Blankets. What is a Fidget Mat? It is a unique work of art whose purpose is to provide entertainment and to safely stimulate and/or calm persons with Dementia. We will use buttons, zippers, loops, laces, beads, toys and other bits & pieces to be sewn onto a lap-size piece of fabric, which will be quilted. By incorporating various fibers, textures and colors, the Fidget Mat becomes an individual treasure, which is reminiscent of a toddler's "Busy Box."

Do you prefer to knit or crochet? If so, another project with the same purpose is the Twiddle Muff, which is created in a circular design, enhanced with the same charms as Fidget Mats, and worn as a sleeve. Queset House, 51 Main Street, Easton. Free and Open to All. Our Fidget Mats and Twiddle Muffs will be donated to memory units within area treatment centers.

May 17: Teen Advisory Board (TAB)

Friday, May 17th from 3:30-4:30 pm, Teen Advisory Board (TAB). Are you between the ages of 12 and 18? Do you want to have a say in what happens at YOUR library? If you answered yes to these questions, please consider joining the AFL Teen Advisory Board! By joining the AFL Teen Advisory Board you can:
*       Help plan events and programs at your library
*       Help choose library materials, like books, movies, and games
*       Help promote library awareness
Queset House, 51 Main Street, Easton. Free and Open to All
May 21: Taste of Easton & Business Expo
The Easton Chamber of Commerce is presenting the 12th annual Taste of Easton & Business Expo at Stonehill College on Tuesday, May 21st from 6-8PM. This event is a celebration of the many dining options in the Easton area and is coupled with an expo featuring local businesses. Tickets are $20 in advance, with a limited number available at the door for $25. The event usually sells out, so we recommend you buy tickets early. Tickets can be purchased at both Bank of Easton branches, Shaw's and Roche Bros. of Easton, and online through the event website, www.tasteofeaston.com<http://www.tasteofeaston.com>. A portion of the proceeds are donated to the Easton Food Pantry. For more information, visit the website or call the Easton Chamber of Commerce at 508-238-2225.
May 22: Author Talk with Ted Reinstein: New England's General Stores
Ted Reinstein is a longtime reporter for Boston's celebrated nightly TV news-magazine, Chronicle, and author of several books on New England. Written with his wife, former ABC journalist Anne-Marie Dorning, New England's General Stores looks at how the humble general store helped shape New England, and how this iconic institution continues to be a vital gathering place for towns all across the region. This 50-minute presentation full of interesting anecdotes will be followed by a Q&A session. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Event Location: Queset House, 51 Main Street, North Easton. Free and open to all, thanks to the generous sponsorship of Avery Lee Williams. Visit www.amesfreelibrary.org<http://www.amesfreelibrary.org> for more information.
May 23: Easton Music Department Presents Broadway Night
Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 7pm, The Easton Music Department presents Broadway Night. Come enjoy
talented Oliver Ames students perform a variety of Broadway songs! $10 at the door. I Oliver Ames High School, Dalrymple Performing Arts Center-100 Lothrop St., North Easton, MA 02356
June 21 through June 23: Artist Call - Legacy Adult Art Show - Theme:  "Through the Eyes of the Artist"
Located at Oakes Ames Memorial Hall. The Legacy Adult Art Show (18 and over). A Different Show: Artists will choose a piece (open medium) based on what they consider either their best work; most creative; most emotionally charged, etc. That piece will be displayed. Work will then be juried for winners by Beth McLaughlin, Chief Curator, Fuller Craft Museum. Entries will be received digitally. Monetary prizes will be awarded to first, second & third place winners. For prospectus email fairewind7 at aol.com<mailto:fairewind7 at aol.com> (Legacy 4 in subject line, please) or call 508 230 5874. Show coincides with Legacy Art/Music/Food Fun Festival and Junior Art Show on June 23rd.

June 22: Open Day! Easton Town Pool
Opening day for the Easton Town Pool is Saturday, June 22nd at 12:00pm! Come see the improvements to the pool house and enjoy free admission on Opening Day! The Easton Town Pool is a fun-filled place that everyone of all ages can enjoy.  We offer senior, individual, and family memberships, as well as swim lessons. Please sign up early! Click here for more information http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
About the Town Crier
The Town Crier is typically sent on Fridays informing subscribers of local government news, notices and community events. To request an event be added to a future newsletter, please send an email to lflorio at easton.ma.us<mailto:lflorio at easton.ma.us> with the information in plain text as you wish it to appear. For consideration, please include event information, the name of the group/event, date, time, location, contact information and website if applicable. Please list all dates that you want to run the notice. The Town reserves the right to reject requests deemed not to be in the public interest or those promoting private benefits and is not responsible for typographical errors. Requests for inclusion must be received no later than Thursday 12:30PM in order to be considered for inclusion in that Friday's newsletter. Requests in the form of PDFs, JPEGs, press releases, etc. will not be accepted. Have a great weekend.

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this e-mail and join us in saving paper.

The Secretary of State's Office has determined email is a public record. All e-mail communications sent or received by persons using the Town of Easton network may be subject to disclosure under the Massachusetts Public Records Law (M.G.L. Chapter 66, Section 10) and the Federal Freedom of Information Act