[Eastontowncrier] Town Crier - January 24, 2020

Easton Town Crier eastontowncrier at list.easton.ma.us
Fri Jan 24 13:09:32 UTC 2020

LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS AND NOTICES
Town of Easton Employment Opportunities
The Town of Easton has the following employment opportunities available:

·   Director of Planning Economic Development

·   Communications Dispatchers - 40 hours per week, part time and per diem
For more information, and full job posting, please visit Town of Easton Employment Opportunities<http://www.easton.ma.us/easton_residents/employment_opportunities.php>
Now through February 29: Dog Licensing
Dog licenses for 2020 are now available and must be completed BEFORE March 1st to avoid late fees. A current rabies certificate must be on file with the Town Clerk's Office in order to license your dog. To update your rabies on file please email<mailto:townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us> a copy to townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us<mailto:townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us>.
You may license your dog in one of the following ways:

·  License Online<https://unipaygold.unibank.com/transactioninfo.aspx?TID=22364> (.25 bank convenience fee with electronic check) and your licenses and tags will be mailed directly to you ($1.00 postage & handling fee).

·  License in Person - You may stop by the Town Clerk's Office during normal business hours. (Mondays 8:30AM - 7:30PM, Tues/Wed/Thur 8:30AM - 4:30PM, Fri 8:30AM-12:30PM)

·  License by Mail - Click here<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/town_clerk1/dog_license.php> for additional information on how to license your dog by mail. Licensing forms<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/db96eb02-e4bf-e711-80bf-001fbc00ed85/Dog%20License%20Form.pdf> and are ONLY required when registering your dog by mail.
Annual Town Census
Residents should have already received an Annual Town Census Form in the mail. The Annual census forms must be signed and returned to the Town Clerk's Office within 10 days of receipt. Residents are reminded that census forms need to be returned even when no changes are necessary to their census information.  In accordance with MGL Ch 51, Sec 4c, failure to respond to the annual census shall result in removal from the active voting list and may result in removal from the voter registration rolls.
Notice to Property Owners in Queset Sewer District
At this time the Queset Sewer District construction is substantially complete and ready for connections. Property owners in the Queset Sewer District that are part of the sewer project that would like to connect should contact a Licensed Drain Layer or contact a contractor who is eligible to become licensed to begin the process of connecting to sewer. The cost to connect to the sewer lines installed by the Town is the responsibility of the property owner. We recommend getting as many quotes as possible for the work and to be clear on what is or is not included in the scope of work (i.e. restoration of lawns, driveways, walkways, removal of trees, internal plumbing changes, abandonment of septic or cesspool, pumping of the old system, cost of permits, etc.). Only Licensed Drain Layers (or those applying to be licensed) may apply for a sewer permit. The Town of Easton will license contractors that have experience installing municipal sanitary sewer, possess the required insurance, and have posted a $5,000 performance bond. For more information visit the DPW Permit page at https://www.easton.ma.us/departments/dpw/permits.php.
Five Corners Sewer Construction Project: Phase II
Work on Foundry Street between Robert Drive and the Five Corners has been completed and the detour has been deactivated. The temporary signals at Bay Road and Highland Street and Foundry Street and Highland Street will remain active until the entire project is completed next year. It is anticipated that the detour will be reactivated for a period of time next construction season to accommodate final paving operations.
The contractor will continue working throughout the winter months on the pump station installation and depending on weather conditions may perform some limited excavation within the roadway on side streets. The remaining roadway work (Bay Road, Depot Street, Foundry Street east of Five Corners) will resume in the spring. If you have any questions or concerns about this project, you may email us at fivecorners at easton.ma.us<mailto:fivecorners at easton.ma.us> or call us at (888) 527-6797.
Waste Management Guide
Waste Management has published a guide for homeowners to explain what is recyclable at home and most common contaminants https://recycleoftenrecycleright.com/resources/for-home/.
Open Burning Season 2020 - January 15th through May 1st - Permits Are Now Available
The Easton Fire Department would like to remind all residents that the Opening Burning Season for 2020 began on January 15th and will continue until May 1st. Please note, a new permit is required each year to legally burn and can only be obtained online at Eastonfire.com<https://eastonfire.com/open-burning-permits-2/>. Once a permit has been issued, burning shall be requested online the day you wish to burn. Permit applications and burn requests can be accessed from a home computer, a laptop or even a smart phone. Residents who do not have access to the internet can use the self-service kiosk in the lobby at Fire Station #3, located at 413 Bay Road. The kiosk is available 7 days a week from 8am to 4pm. For questions or assistance, please contact the Fire Administration Desk at 508-230-0750, or Click Here<https://www.mass.gov/doc/safety-tips-for-open-burning/download> for a list of Safety Tips for Open Burning Season.
Meetings Next Week: January 27 through January 31
See time, date, location, and agenda details on our helpful calendar app: Town of Easton Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Calendar>. Questions relating to public meetings should be directed to the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530. Stay informed of all town board and committee business by signing up for email notifications with our Minutes on Demand service! Sign up here.<http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/EmailNotifications/Login>
Now through February 3: Real Estate and/or Personal Property Overvalue Applications for FY2020
Applications for Overvalue Abatement of Real Estate or Personal Property for FY2020 can be filed with the Board of Assessors until 7:30 pm on Monday, February 3, 2020 or mailed first-class postage with a postmark made by the United State Postal Service no later than February 3, 2020.  Those interested in further information please call 508-230-0520, click here for an application<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/84d2e1a9-f72b-ea11-a2e0-000c29a59557/2020%20Over%20Evaluation%20Abatement%20Application%20with%20instructions.pdf> or visit the Town of Easton website in the Assessors' section select Overvalue Abatement Application. You may drop off the application at the Assessors' office or mail the completed application.
February 12: Voter Registration Deadline - Presidential Primary Election
Wednesday, February 12th is the deadline to register to vote or change your party affiliation for the upcoming Presidential Primary Election that will be held on Tuesday, March 3rd from 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM at OAHS. The Easton Town Clerk's Office, located on the first floor of Town Hall, 136 Elm Street, will be open until 8:00 PM on Wednesday, February 12th for voter registration purposes. Use these links to check to see if you are a registered voter and your voter status<https://www.sec.state.ma.us/VoterRegistrationSearch/MyVoterRegStatus.aspx> or to Register to vote or change party online<https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/>.
February 24 through February 28: EARLY VOTING - Presidential Primary Election
All registered voters will be able to participate in Early Voting for the March 3rd Presidential Primary Election between February 24th and 28th.  Early voting can be done at the Easton Town Hall, 136 Elm Street, during Town Hall normal business hours (Mon 8:30AM-7:30PM, Tues/Wed/Thur 8:30AM-4:30PM, Fri 8:30AM-12:30PM). Click link for more information on Early Voting<https://www.easton.ma.us/departments/town_clerk1/early_voting/index.php>.
March 3: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM - Presidential Primary Election
The Presidential Primary Election is scheduled for Tuesday, March 3, 2020. Polls will be open from 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM at Oliver Ames High School. Voters who are registered in one of the 4 Political Parties (Democrat, Republican, Green-Rainbow, and Libertarian) will be required to vote on that party ballot type for the primary election. All other registered voters, including Unenrolled (sometimes known as Independent) will be able to choose one of the 4 ballot types to vote.
Voters are encouraged to educate themselves on their current party enrollment and ballot type options (for those who may choose) PRIOR to arriving at the polls or early voting site. Click the links to KNOW BEFORE YOU GO TO THE POLLS<https://cms2.revize.com/revize/eastonma/departments/town_clerk1/know_before_you_go.php>, to obtain your voter information<https://www.sec.state.ma.us/VoterRegistrationSearch/MyVoterRegStatus.aspx> and to view SAMPLE BALLOTS<https://www.easton.ma.us/departments/town_clerk1/sample_ballots.php> to prepare in advance of voting. Your preparation as a voter will reduce the amount of time necessary in the voting booths and reduce lines and crowding at the polls.
March 6: Deadline to Obtain Nomination Papers for Annual Town Election
Nomination papers for the Annual Town Election to be held on April 28, 2020 are available beginning Thursday, January 2, 2020 at the Town Clerk's office. The last day to obtain nomination papers is Friday, March 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM. The Election Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/ca052b20-0592-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/2020.04.28%20Annual%20Town%20Election%20Calendar.pdf> with candidate deadlines, the positions on the ballot<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/bf7fcc2d-0592-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/2020.04.28%20Annual%20Town%20Election%20Terms%20due%20to%20expire%20with%20positions.pdf> and a complete Candidate Packet<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/ae7bbc59-0792-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/2020%20Candidates%20Packet.pdf> are available on the Towns website. Interested Candidates are invited to call 508-230-0530 or email townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us<mailto:townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us> with questions.
Now through April 1: Real Estate Exemption Applications for FY2020 Now Available
Applications for real estate property tax exemptions for FY2020 are now available through the Easton Assessors' Office. The town offers many exemptions designed to reduce property tax for qualifying seniors and disabled residents. Exemptions include:

·     Elderly, for those age 65 and older who qualify by income and assets;

·     Widow, widower, persons over 70 or minor surviving child with asset limit;

·     Disabled veterans, blind, tax deferral; and

·     Community Preservation Act with income limits
Those interested in further information or applications should visit the Assessors' section of the town's website at Easton Real Estate Property Tax Exemptions<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/document/e418076f-f698-e911-a2cd-000c29a59557/2020%20RE%20Exemption%20info%20for%20web%20site.pdf&fromFrame=1>. If you would prefer to avoid long lines and believe that you may need assistance, call the Assessors' Office (508) 230-0520 to schedule an appointment to review your application. You may drop off the application at the Assessors' office or mail the completed application.
April 28: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM - Annual Town Election
The Annual Town Election for the Town of Easton will be held on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 from 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM at Oliver Ames High School. Use this link for additional Election Information<http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/town_clerk1/election_information.php>.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS
Beginning Immediately - Meals on Wheels Volunteer Needed on Thursday Mornings
We are looking for a volunteer to deliver Meals on Wheels to Easton residents on Thursday mornings 9:00 AM-11:30 AM/12:00 PM starting immediately. This would be on a weekly basis and would be a 2-3 hour route. If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please contact Outreach Coordinator, Kathleen Gouveia at 508-230-0692.
Easton Community Access Television (ECAT)
Would you like to help ECAT shape our programming and strategies for the future? ECAT is partnering with Stonehill College on two exciting research initiatives: an online survey and a focus group. If you are interested in participating in one or both please send an email to Prof. Kristin McGillicuddy at kmcgillicuddy at stonehill.edu<mailto:kmcgillicuddy at stonehill.edu>.
Recreation Department Programs
The Recreation Department is now accepting registrations for March Madness Basketball for girls and boys grades 6-8. Click here for more information: http://www.easton.ma.us/departments/recreation_department/recreation_programs.php
Mondays through Saturdays: Ames Free Library - Find Entertainment & Inspiration
Find entertainment & inspiration at one of the great programs offered at the Ames Free Library! You can also browse our wide collection of books, large print materials, magazines, newspapers, audio books, database resources, DVDs and music suitable for all ages and interests. Weekly Storytimes are conducted in the Children's Room of the Main Library from 10:30 AM-11:00 AM on Monday - Thursday. All library programs are at Queset House, 51 Main Street unless listed otherwise. Free and open to all. For more information, call (508) 238-2000, check www.amesfreelibrary.org<http://www.amesfreelibrary.org/> or Email info at amesfreelibrary.org<mailto:info at amesfreelibrary.org>.
2nd Saturday Each Month: Easton Genealogy Club
>From 2:00 PM-4:00 PM. Stuck on a tough "puzzle" in your family tree? Join Ed Hands and the Easton Genealogy Club where you can use the Ames Free Library's resources to solve the riddle! The Easton Genealogy Club meets the 2nd Saturday of each month. Free and open to all! Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Library Room.
Wednesdays and Thursdays: Demos with Dana
>From 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Dana is available each Wednesday & Thursday morning at the Queset House to help you better navigate this digital age, and show you how to use the equipment and databases available to you with your library card.
1st and 3rd Thursday of Each Month: Knitter's Group
We are a group of fiber enthusiasts of all abilities who meet on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month. If you can't be there at 5:30, come when you can! Sit, stitch, enjoy a snack (if you or someone else brings one), and great conversation! Hope you can join us! Event Location: Queset House, 2nd Floor Makerspace.
Now through end of February 2020: US Census Jobs Fair
3:30-6:30pm at the Ames Free Library. Learn about job opportunities to work for the US Census Bureau this year. The pay rate ranges $20.00 - $25.00/hour. Come in and learn about the job possibilities.
January 24: Community Meditation
>From 10:30 am -11:30 am. Event Location: Queset House, 2nd Floor Conference Room. Want to share mindfulness skills and meet other folks with contemplative practices? Welcome to an open, peer-to-peer meditation sangha, where we will sit together for 30 minutes of meditation in a low key, supportive environment. Anyone with a meditation practice in any tradition is welcome. Facilitators are doubly welcome! Please bring a cushion for sitting. Free and open to all.
January 25: Original Easton Farmer's Market (OEFM)

The 2019-20 winter Original Easton Farmer's Market (OEFM), which began on Saturday, November 2, and runs through Saturday, May 23, 2020 is held every Saturday, with market hours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The OEFM winter location is in Fellowship Hall at the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (HTLC), at 143 Lincoln Street, in North Easton. For the Saturday, January 25, 2020 OEFM our vendors of locally grown, locally made, and locally raised are Townie Frozen Desserts (vegan, dairy-free, and allergy-friendly ice cream, sorbet, and toppings), Langwater Farm (fresh fruit and vegetables), Jordan Brothers Seafood (fresh seafood), Mookie's Pet Treats (fresh-baked dog treats)), Oakdale Farms (fresh fruits and vegetables, farm fresh eggs, potted plants, jam, jellies, oils, and vinegars), Knot Be Gone Therapeutic Massage (chair massages), Bridgewater Village Bakery (sourdough bread, sourdough pastries, and sourdough-crusted chicken pot pies), Daddy's Homegrown (humanely and pasture-raised beef and pork), Rosie Bud Farm (raw honey; soaps and lotions made from raw honey), Kave Rock Farm Alpaca Farm (alpaca wool clothing and afghans), All Hands In (quality personal care products made by survivors of human trafficking and other forms of exploitation; proceeds of sales go to heal those who have suffered, and to fight and prevent, these abuses), and All In Energy (clean and efficient energy solutions for home and business).
January 25: Easton Creative Writing Group
>From 10:30AM - 12:30PM weekly on Saturday. We are a diverse group of aspiring and accomplished writers, who meet weekly to read our work, discuss methods, and constructively critique each other's writing. This helps us to generate new ideas and work on our respective writing processes, bringing our work closer to fruition. Whether you are working on a book, a manuscript, poetry, a short story, or a memoir, come and let's all work together to make it the best it can be. Writing does not have to be a lonely craft! Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Presentation Commons
January 27: Kindle Coaching
2pm-4pm, Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Office. Your library offers more than just books on paper! Did you know you can borrow library books on Kindle, and other digital media? If you need coaching on how to do this, visit Dan Paré at Queset House. Come learn about Libby and OverDrive, two apps and websites you can use to borrow eBooks for all Kindle devices, as well as audiobooks, magazines, and videos for Kindle Fires. You can also learn how to use the apps on your smart devices. When you come to your appointment, you're encouraged to bring your library card and Kindle (or smart device), as well as the sign-in info and password for the Amazon account connected to your Kindle, so you can practice borrowing a Kindle book during the coaching. Sessions are held every Monday from 11:00 am - 12:00 noon, and on the 4th Saturday of the month at 2:00 & 3:00 pm, and are by appointment only. Please schedule your session, call 508-238-2000, ext. 3.
January 28: The American Legion Post 7 Meeting
The American Legion Post 7 Easton, MA invites any interested veterans to their next meeting on Tuesday, January 28, 2020. The Meeting begins at 7pm and normally runs until 8pm at the VFW Hall, 61 Rockland Street on the corner of Allen Road, Easton, MA.
January 28: COA Book Club
Meets on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 1:00 pm, Frothingham Hall, 15 Barrows Street. We welcome all new members! Subscribe to the "Council on Aging Book Club" e-newsletter to receive book club reminders and updates. This month's book selection is Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue.
January 28: Music Workshop 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Harris Shilakowsky, Violinist, Music Educator & owner of MusicStoreUSA.com will be teaching a performance class for violinists and violists. This is for intermediate players of any age. You should already know how to play a couple of scales & first position pieces, however, the music we choose to play will be defined by the abilities of the participants. We will play duets, learn new techniques, solve musical problems and learn how to shift and slide easily into new positions. We'll discuss how to get great tone & how to get better at sight reading. Bring your musical questions to ask the professor. If you need help with your instrument, don't be afraid to ask! Register by calling 508-238-2000.
January 30: Mystery Book Club
3pm-4pm, Queset House, 51 Main Street, 1st Floor Presentation Commons Mystery Book Club - The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri
January 30: Homework Tutoring with Alex
Alex Manthous is a student at Oliver Ames High School. He is offering tutoring services for students in grades 5-9, in the following subjects: Algebra I, Biology, Chemistry, Physics I. Homework Tutoring sessions take place on Thursdays in the First Floor Information Cafe at Queset House, and registration is required! Book for 5:00 or 5:30 PM. To reserve a tutoring session, call 508-238-2000, ext. 3. Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Information Café
January 31: Community Meditation
10:30am - 11:30 am; Queset House, 2nd Floor Conference Room. Want to share mindfulness skills and meet other folks with contemplative practices? Welcome to an open, peer-to-peer meditation sangha, where we will sit together for 30 minutes of meditation in a low key, supportive environment. Anyone with a meditation practice in any tradition is welcome. Facilitators are doubly welcome! Please bring a cushion for sitting. Free and open to all.
February 1: Creative Writing Group 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
We are a diverse group of aspiring and accomplished writers, who meet weekly to read our work, discuss methods, and constructively critique each other's writing. This helps us to generate new ideas and work on our respective writing processes, bringing our work closer to fruition. Whether you are working on a book, a manuscript, poetry, a short story, or a memoir, come and let's all work together to make it the best it can be. Writing does not have to be a lonely craft! Event Location: Queset House, 1st Floor Presentation Commons.
February 1: Lego Club 10:00 AM -12:00 PM
Join us for Lego fun at the Queset House.
February 1: Makerspace 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Event Location: Queset House, 2nd Floor Makerspace. Have you previously sewn on a sewing machine but find yourself without one? Not to worry the Ames Free Library has a sewing machine available for your use in the Queset House. Schedule a time with Julie so that she can introduce you to the Janome sewing machine. Once you have used the Janome sewing machine in this 30 minute tutorial you can check out the machine for in library use. Sessions are held on the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Saturday of the month from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, and are by appointment only. Please schedule your session and call 508-238-2000, ext. 3.
February 1: Dungeons and Dragons 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Calling all heroes: Adventure awaits! This is a group for anyone that would be interested in playing Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition in a homebrew campaign. All skill levels welcome. Sessions will be played on a weekly basis; new players are always welcome. Please register if you'd like to attend. Please call 508-238-2000. Event Location: Queset House, 2nd Floor Makerspace
February 8: Oliver Ames Iron Tigers Robotics 4th Annual Comedy Night
OA Iron Tigers Robotics is hosting its 4th Annual Comedy Night on February 8, 2020. Doors open at 7:00 pm and the show starts at 8:00 pm. The event will be held at Knights of Columbus Hall 375 Foundry Street, North Easton, MA. Snacks provided and cash bar. Raffle Items and Silent Auction. 21+ event. Tickets are $20.00 and can be purchased at funny4funds.com/events<http://funny4funds.com/events>. To donate or inquire about sponsor levels contact Lori Dike at vicepresident at eastonrobotics.org<mailto:vicepresident at eastonrobotics.org>

About the Town Crier
The Town Crier is typically sent on Fridays informing subscribers of local government news, notices and community events. To request an event be added to a future newsletter, please send an email to lflorio at easton.ma.us<mailto:lflorio at easton.ma.us> with the information in plain text as you wish it to appear. For consideration, please include event information, the name of the group/event, date, time, location, contact information and website if applicable. Please list all dates that you want to run the notice. The Town reserves the right to reject requests deemed not to be in the public interest or those promoting private benefits and is not responsible for typographical errors. Requests for inclusion must be received no later than Thursday 12:30PM in order to be considered for inclusion in that Friday's newsletter. Requests in the form of PDFs, JPEGs, press releases, etc. will not be accepted. Have a great weekend.

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Town-of-Easton-MA/109553865754359?sk=wall>Follow us on Facebook
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/#!/townofeaston>Follow us on Twitter

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this e-mail and join us in saving paper.

The Secretary of State's Office has determined email is a public record. All e-mail communications sent or received by persons using the Town of Easton network may be subject to disclosure under the Massachusetts Public Records Law (M.G.L. Chapter 66, Section 10) and the Federal Freedom of Information Act