[Eastontowncrier] Town Crier December 7, 2018

Easton Town Crier eastontowncrier at list.easton.ma.us
Fri Dec 7 09:01:26 EST 2018

LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS AND NOTICES
ONLINE Dog Licensing Now Available
2018 Dog licenses are now available ONLINE<https://unipaygold.unibank.com/transactioninfo.aspx?TID=22364>. To license online, search by Dog ID# (can be found on a previous years license) or enter your last name, street name and/or dog name. Residents will only be able to use the online dog licensing service if the rabies certificate that is on file in the Town Clerks Office is current at the time of licensing. To update your rabies on file please email<mailto:townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us> a copy to townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us<mailto:townclerksoffice at easton.ma.us> and allow time for internal processing before attempting to license online. Please note that the bank charges .25 to pay by electronic check and a $1.00 postage & handling fee will be charged for each online license issued. Dog licenses and tags will be mailed directly to you. You may also license your dog in person at the Town Clerks Office beginning December 17th. If you have a problem with the payment link above, please try https://unipaygold.unibank.com/transactioninfo.aspx?TID=22364
Old Colony Planning Council - Long Range Transportation Plan
Old Colony Planning Council, the regional planning agency is in the process of updating the Regional Transportation Plan. Every four years the OCPC embarks upon an update to the region's Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP). The LRTP helps to determine how federal and state funding will be spent on transportation infrastructure and services in the next 20 years. This survey will solicit community initiatives including mobility needs, quality-of-life and environmental issues. By filling out this survey, you are making a statement about your community's needs. Click here to participate in the survey.<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001aoR3JXmqWoaMyugb3dUUmRD2nHS22k4XEuGnU-bi_m14Q0hubMshfo8k2CuNDkNYBpAjDrxVIKjlqAREm3ZjgRQt057qHolshGORGXQ-nXKMNDO-vzma9r4n3FvLlDSTVzCmE0zHfeekrzCwUISMFd-6-CtZ8eryq4Tm_02GOTXsL5US-Zlsg59Q2m2Rro7l&c=ABsu4s72gs5cnvJ-CJSF7AXlg8uxtOd0WpkKCT-yiQNLRtsv-kDyvg==&ch=itpdxbe6NXKnmu0_-L4FM9HuB0yTWBPwFny5gUWBbXOdZNpeVzm_LA==> Visit www.ocprpa.org<http://www.ocprpa.org> for more information and how to get involved.
Assessor's Office

The Easton Assessors' Office is in the process of doing cyclical inspections of Personal Property throughout the town. The inspections are being done over the next few weeks with the inspector going door-to-door to businesses to do inspections of both the interior and exterior of commercial and industrial properties. The Department of Revenue requires that every community re-inspect its personal property periodically. As a result, the Easton Board of Assessors inspects some of its property every year. In addition to meeting state requirements, the objective of this project is to assure the accuracy of the Town's assessing data. The inspector, Renee Holloran, will have a letter of identification on town letterhead and will be driving a Volkswagen Jetta. For further information, contact the Assessors' Office at 508-230-0520.
Columbia Gas Main Replacement
Due to the recent events in the Merrimack Valley, Columbia Gas has temporarily suspended construction operations on Pine Street and Hill Street. We will notify residents when construction will begin again. Columbia Gas anticipates that they have an additional 4 weeks of work to complete the project.
Property Viewer - Geographic Information System Now Available
Easton now has a Property Viewer<https://maps.publicworks.easton.ma.us/propertyviewer/> or GIS (Geographic Information System). One can do a search by address, and pull up detail on a property by then clicking on the top menu "layers" and select additional overlays, such as Aquifer Protection District, Zoning, etc. By clicking on the black dot that shows on the property, after doing a search, one will be able to access the property card. This link can also be accessed from the Town's website, the lower bottom left sidebar: "Licenses/Permits/Property information."
Real Estate Property Tax Exemptions FY2019 Now Available - Assessors Office
Applications for Real Estate property tax exemptions for FY 2019 are now available through the Easton Assessors' Office. The town offers many exemptions designed to reduce property tax for qualifying seniors and disabled residents. Exemptions include: elderly, for those age 65 and older who qualify by income and assets; widow, widower, and persons over 70 or minor surviving child with asset limit; disabled veterans, blind, tax deferral and CPA. Those interested in further information or applications should visit the town's website<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/071c4e10-e16f-e811-80c0-001fbc00ed85/RE%20Exemption%20Information%20FY19.pdf>, stop by the Assessors' Office or call the office at 508-230-0520.
The Public Health Nurse will be available for Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar screening for Easton Residents (on a walk in basis, no appointment needed) according to the following schedule:

*       Town Hall (136 Elm St., Mary Connolly Room, 2nd Floor) - Monday, December 17 (3PM-4PM)

*       Parker Terrace Community Room - Wednesday, January 2 (9:30AM-10:30AM)

*       Frothingham Hall - COA (15 Barrows St) Thursday, December 13 (10:30AM-11:30AM)

*       Elise Circle Community Room - Tuesday, December 18 (9:30AM-10:30AM)
To view the Easton Board of Health Public Health Nurse schedule for the entire year, please refer to Public Nurse Schedule<http://www.easton.ma.us/Public%20Nurse%20Schedule%204%20locations%202018.pdf>.
Local Alert System
Easton uses Plymouth County Sheriff's CodeRED call system to inform residents and businesses during an emergency. To add a cell phone number, email address, or your landline number, find the link to CodeRED Notification Enrollment at www.pcsdma.org/codered.html<http://www.pcsdma.org/codered.html>. Don't assume you're already listed.
December 7: Public Workshop on Climate Change Impacts for Easton
Friday, December 7th from 9AM-1PM at the Easton Town Hall, Colleen Corona Conference Room. Join the Easton Planning Department to discuss Easton's strengths and vulnerabilities to hazards like flooding, changing seasonality, and extreme temperatures as part of Easton's award from the State Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. This 2-part discussion will produce a holistic plan that combines local expertise from across sectors and represent priorities of the town's other major planning documents. All input from participants will be recorded and short term priorities identified by the group will be highlighted. For more information, contact Andrea Langhauser, Environmental Planner at 508-230-0630 or Alanghauser at easton.ma.us<mailto:Alanghauser at easton.ma.us>
Meetings Next Week: December 10 through December 14
See time, date, location, and agenda details on our helpful calendar app:  Town of Easton Calendar<https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Calendar>. Questions relating to public meetings should be directed to the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 230-0530. Stay informed of all town board and committee business by signing up for email notifications with our Minutes on Demand service! Sign up here.<http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/EmailNotifications/Login>
December 10 through December 14: Free Bulk Item PickUp
The week of December 10, 2018 will be the next "FREE BULK ITEM" pickup week for Waste Management customers. If you are in our Waste Management program, you can put one (1) large item curbside on your regular trash day to be picked up at no charge to you. No need to call the office, just have your item out at 7AM. You can find the list of acceptable items on the Town's website. Any questions call the DPW @ 508-230-0800.
COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS
Free Town of Easton Community Calendar
The free town of Easton Community Calendar from September 2018 through August 2019, prepared and published by the North Easton Savings Bank, is now available. In addition to listing town, school and organizational events, it included information about civic and religious groups, community activities, and a brief history of the 135 years of the Ames Free Library. Assisted by the Easton Country Club, Morse Insurance, and Scoreboard Enterprises, the calendar is a valuable resource for all residents. Calendars are available at the Ames Free Library, Easton Historical Society, Town Offices, and all Easton branches of the North Easton Savings Bank.
Year 2025 Easton will Celebrate 300th Birthday - Fund for Donating
Easton has a great 300th Birthday Celebration in the year 2025. A fund has been established by the Avery Lee Williams Family Trust to which donations may be made. This fund already has over $13,000.00 in it. To make such donation just send your check payable to the Town of Easton at the Town Treasurer's office, 136 Elm Street, North Easton, MA 02356 - be certain to put the words "300th Celebration Fund" on the miscellaneous line.
Historic Map of Easton
The 2018 Historic Map of Easton, prepared by the Easton Historical Society, and funded by The Ames Family, North Easton Savings Bank, MacKenzie and Jeannine Smith, and Stonehill College, are available in the Ames Free Library, Easton Historical Society, Easton Town Offices, and all Easton branches of the North Easton Savings Bank.
South Coast Rail Project
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is transitioning all project websites into the newly designed, statewide www.mass.gov<http://www.mass.gov> website. The South Coast Rail's new project website can be found at:  www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail<http://www.mass.gov/south-coast-rail>.
Now through December 9:  "Be the Light" with Easton's Human Rights Committee
Join Easton's Human Rights Committee in creating "Be the Light"-a community art project designed to help bring our community together. You're invited to share a good intention, light a candle to represent the good inside you, and add your light to the display, helping to illuminate our town. The lights remind us that we all have unique and positive qualities within ourselves that can help bring our community together. The project is happening outside Oakes Ames Hall. The lights will be on display for several nights after the festival. If you have questions or would like to volunteer, please email humanrights at easton.ma.us<mailto:humanrights at easton.ma.us>.
December 1 through 8: Ames Free Library is Hosting a Food for Fines
The Ames Free Library is once again hosting Food for Fines, which will run from Saturday, December 1st through Saturday, December 8th. Patrons may bring ONE non-perishable food item for each $1.00 in fines. This does not apply to lost or damaged items, only the overdue fines accrued on an account. The food items will be given to the Easton Food Pantry.
December 7: Veterans Appreciation Day: Games, Entertainment, and Lunch!
Please join Easton Veterans Services and the Council on Aging on Friday, December 7th 11AM-3PM for an afternoon of fun and games! A light lunch will be provided and all games are open to the public free of charge. We will have a pool table, ping pong table, cornhole, checkers, card tables, and more. This event will be held at Frothingham Hall, 15 Barrows Street in Easton. Please call 508-230-0690 if you have any questions or would like to attend.
December 7: AARP Age-Friendly Communities Kick Off Event
Please join us at 10:30 AM on Friday, December 7th prior to the start of Veterans Appreciation Day for our AARP Age-Friendly Communities kickoff event and certificate presentation.  This event will be held at Frothingham Hall, 15 Barrows Street.  A light lunch will be served following the program as we begin an afternoon honoring our veterans.  Please call 508-230-0690 if you have any questions or would like to attend.
December 8: Original Easton Farmer's Market Moves to Lutheran Church
The Original Easton Farmer's Market is moving to the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church at 143 Lincoln Street for the rest of the winter season- still in North Easton with many of the same local farmers and locally sourced products.  Saturday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM. Check out our Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/EastonOriginalFarmersMarket/> for the latest information.
December 8: The 3rd Annual Holiday Craft Fair
Oliver Ames Marching Band Proudly Presents our 3nd Annual Holiday Craft Fair. Come enjoy music and holiday cheer as crafters and vendors from all over the state help you with your Holiday Shopping Needs! There will also be a 50/50 Raffle and a Bake Sale! Saturday, December 8th from 9AM-3PM at the Oliver Ames High School Cafeteria, 100 Lothrop Street, North Easton, MA  02356. *Admission for this event is FREE
DECEMBER 8: ARTISANS FAIRE AND HOLIDAY TEA at QUESET HOUSE
>From 10AM - 4PM Artisans Faire and Holiday Tea at Queset House. Looking for an unusual holiday gift to surprise that special someone? Or a magical event to start off the Holidays with a bang? We feature juried local artisans in paint, photography, textiles, wood, jewelry, pottery, hand-dyed silk scarves, body wraps, handbags, gifts for the home, chocolate, live music all day, and raffles. FREE ADMISSION TO THIS EVENT! Traditional High Tea/luncheon: Seating times are 10:30/11:30/12:30/1:30. Tickets are $40 for adults and $20 for children ten and under. Reserve seats at fairewind7 at aol.com<mailto:fairewind7 at aol.com> or Call 508 230 5874. TICKETS also available at the DOOR. More Info: Easton Shovel Town Cultural District Facebook page.
December 9: Holiday Show - Oliver Ames Show Choir and Pit Band Panache
Oliver Ames Show Choir and Pit Band Panache proudly presents our Holiday Show with Sing-A-Long and Cookie Walk Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 4PM located at Oliver Ames High School Auditorium, 100 Lothrop Street, North Easton, MA. Admission: Adults $10, Students, Children, Senior Citizens $5, Children 5 and under Free. Cookie Walk: 5 per box to mix and match 5 bags of cookies.

December 9: OAHS 1968 Graduate to Speak at The Easton Historical Society

The Easton Historical Society will be open this Sunday, December 9th from 1PM to 5PM. At 2PM, James Thomson will discuss the Boston Light, a topic that his wife Dr. Susan Snowman and he have written two books. The Boston Light was the first established lighthouse in colonial America in 1716 and is now the last manned Coast Guard Light Station in the country. After graduating from Northeastern, he was the Junior Engineer for the Easton Department of Public Works before joining the Town of Plymouth's Engineering Department for more than thirty years. On sale will be Mary Bodio prints including the one of Stonehill College. Refreshments.
December 10 and 11: Easton Wings of Hope - Youth Substance Use Prevention Coalition Volunteer Committee Meetings
Easton Wings of Hope, the official youth substance use prevention coalition of the town of Easton, will be hosting its next round of volunteer committee meetings at the beginning of December. Each meeting will run from 6:30-7:30PM at the Old Colony YMCA, Easton branch. The meetings will take place in the Family Resource Center. They are scheduled as follows: Tuesday, Dec 4th: Policy; Wednesday, Dec 5th: Youth Involvement; Monday, Dec 10th: Events; Tuesday, Dec 11th: Communications/Outreach. If you are interested in attending any of these meetings or volunteering your time to Easton Wings of Hope please contact Larissa Swenson, Substance Abuse Prevention Program Manager, at 781-341-2016 x252 or at lswenson at oldcolonyymca.org<mailto:lswenson at oldcolonyymca.org>.
December 13: Winter Concert - Oliver Ames Music Department
Thursday, December 13th at 7PM located at Oliver Ames High School Auditorium, 100 Lothrop Street, North Easton, MA. The Oliver Ames Music Department proudly presents their Winter Concert featuring the Oliver Ames High School Concert Band, Orchestra, and Concert Choir.
Now through December 15: Photography Competition & Preservation Awards
The Easton Historical Commission is accepting photographs through December 15, 2018 for the 19th Annual Photography Competition, Sunday January 13, 2019 from 3PM-5PM at Oakes Ames Memorial Hall. Recipients of the Chaffin Award (for an individual making a significant contribution to historic preservation in Easton), the Briggs Award (for a building or landscape project significant to Easton's historical integrity) and the Boston Post Cane (for Easton's oldest resident) will be announced at the event. Photographs should be taken in Easton and should be on the themes of historic places, historic landscapes, people, or pets. Important details about the categories and submission requirements can be found on the Town website at: http://www.easton.ma.us/boards_and_committees/historical_commission/news.php. Photographs may be dropped off for or mailed to John Ventresco at 475 Depot St, S Easton, MA 02375. For more information regarding the photo competition and Preservation Achievement Awards Program, please contact John Ventresco at 508-238-6950, jventresco at comcast.net<mailto:jventresco at comcast.net>.
December 20: OAHS Music Department Proudly Presents The 43nd Annual Sing-a-long
Of Handel's Messiah! Thursday, December 20th at 8PM located at the Immaculate Conception Church, 193 Main Street, Easton. Featuring: Oliver Ames Concert Choir and Oliver Ames Chamber Orchestra. Also: Charlene Dalrymple- Soprano, Roselin Osser- Mezzo-Soprano, Michael Calmes-Tenor, Mark Anderson-Bass, Michael Korn- Orchestra Director & Conductor, and Murray Kidd-Choir Director. Admission is free. Donations are gladly accepted for the OAHS Music Department.
About the Town Crier
The Town Crier is typically sent on Fridays informing subscribers of local government news, notices and community events. To request an event be added to a future newsletter, please send an email to lflorio at easton.ma.us<mailto:lflorio at easton.ma.us> with the information in plain text as you wish it to appear. For consideration, please include event information, the name of the group/event, date, time, location, contact information and website if applicable. Please list all dates that you want to run the notice. The Town reserves the right to reject requests deemed not to be in the public interest or those promoting private benefits and is not responsible for typographical errors. Requests for inclusion must be received no later than Thursday 12:30PM in order to be considered for inclusion in that Friday's newsletter. Requests in the form of PDFs, JPEGs, press releases, etc. will not be accepted. Have a great weekend.

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Town-of-Easton-MA/109553865754359?sk=wall>Follow us on Facebook
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/#!/townofeaston>Follow us on Twitter

Help make the earth a greener place. If at all possible resist printing this e-mail and join us in saving paper.

The Secretary of State's Office has determined email is a public record. All e-mail communications sent or received by persons using the Town of Easton network may be subject to disclosure under the Massachusetts Public Records Law (M.G.L. Chapter 66, Section 10) and the Federal Freedom of Information Act